Both an Oscar winner and a blockbuster director, the breadth of Sam Mendes’ work perfectly demonstrates his versatile talent. And the 15 Sam Mendes quotes we’ve picked below illustrate how this versatility comes from a deep understanding of and commitment to craft.
Sam Mendes – From Stage to Screen
Sam Mendes – The Bond Years and Beyond
And of course, we can’t talk about Sam Mendes without mentioning James Bond.
In 2012 Mendes took the commercial jump and directed Skyfall (and then Spectre in 2015). However, despite this being his first action-packed blockbuster, Mendes still kept to his roots. He brought a new emotional depth to the franchise; using his focus on character to gently explore Bond’s past and psychology.
Mendes then moved on to screenwriting as well as directing for his next project, the award-winning war drama 1917. The film is known for being shot in one take, which Mendes has said he “baked into the screenplay itself”. He wanted two hours of real time and no cuts, and for the audience to be locked in with the characters. This ends up being an important storytelling decision that frames the emotion and pressure of the narrative and characters, much like a play.
He gained another screenwriting credit with Empire of Light. A romantic drama close to his own personal story, Mendes has once again moved onto a drastically different genre from his work, as is his preference.
It is safe to say that Mendes will always adapt his style to tell the story at hand perfectly while delivering strong characters, powerful narratives, and impressive visuals. He’s a director who has honed his craft subtly over many years and filters his work ethic into the details of the stories he tells.
Sam Mendes Quotes on… The Filmmaking Process
1. “Learn to say, ‘I don’t know the answer’. It could be the beginning of a very good day’s rehearsal.”
2. “The importance of rehearsal is maybe you want to talk about how the scene’s going to be designed, how it’s going to be staged, all of those things. It’s all about preparation, and deciding what mutually you don’t want to do, rather than necessarily what you do.”
3. “I am not a master-class director, I am not a teacher, I am a coach, I don’t have a methodology. Each actor is different. And on the film set, you have to be next to them all.”
4. “There’s one thing better than having a great actor, and that’s having a great actor who’s never done this kind of role before and is hungry to do it. They’re testing themselves every day. They want to get out of their trailer and get to work.”
5. “Truly great actors carry their characters in silence with them. They communicate without words the relationships that predate the movie.”
Sam Mendes Quotes on… Personal Style
6. “The movies that influenced me were movies that told their stories through pictures more than words.”
7. “I think movies are a director’s medium in the end. Theater is the actor’s medium. Theater is fast and enjoyable, and truly rewarding. I believe in great live performance.”
8. “For me, certain shots or scenes are keys in the movie.”
9. “There have been screenwriters who I’m sure would gladly kill me, because I’ve been very fast and loose with their work, because I felt like it wasn’t up to my high standards. I would push and pull it on set and make changes all the time. But then when you’re working with an original screenplay, my theater instincts kick in, and I suddenly become very keeper-of-the-words.”
10. “I don’t want to be known for one thing. I don’t want to have an adjective based around my name. ‘Lynchian’, I know what that is, I know what ‘Kubrickian’ is, and I know what ‘Bergmanesque’ means. But there isn’t going to be, and I don’t want there to be, a ‘Mendesian’.”
Sam Mendes Quotes on… Advice to New Filmmakers
11. “You’ve got to work. You’ve got to want an audience to sit forward in their chairs sometimes, rather than sit back and be bombarded with images.”
12. “Avoid, please, all metaphors of plays or films as ‘pinnacles’ or ‘peaks’; treat with absolute scorn the word ‘definitive’; and if anyone uses the word ‘masterpiece’, they don’t know what they’re doing. The pursuit of perfection is a mug’s game.”
13. “Confidence is essential, but ego is not.”
14. “Always choose good collaborators. It seems so obvious, but the best collaborators are the ones who disagree with you. It means they’re passionate, they have opinions, and they’ll only ever say yes if they mean it.”
15. “Learn to accept the blame for everything. If the script was poor, you didn’t work hard enough with the writer – If the actors failed, you failed them – If the sets, the lighting, the poster, the costumes are wrong, you gave them the thumbs-up. So build up your shoulders, they need to be broad.”
Feeling inspired by these Sam Mendes quotes? Take a look at our list of Nora Ephron quotes and Martin McDonagh quotes for some more inspiration.
– What did you think of this article? Share It, Like It, give it a rating, and let us know your thoughts in the comments box further down…
– Struggling with a script or book? Story analysis is what we do, all day, every day… check out our range of script coverage services for writers & filmmakers.
This article was written by Tallulah Allen and edited by IS Staff.
Get *ALL* our FREE Resources
Tackle the trickiest areas of screenwriting with our exclusive eBooks. Get all our FREE resources when you join 60,000 filmmakers on our mailing list!